The criteria for a sortal from Wikipedia:
- gives a criterion for counting the items of that kind
- gives a criterion of identity and non-identity among items of that kind
- gives a criterion for the continued existence of an item of that kind
- answers the question "what is it?" for things of that kind
- specifies the essence of things of that kind
- does not apply to parts of things of that kind
That seem like the things I would also need to know to know what things to regard as tokens of a given type.
So how do the concepts of sortals and of tokens differ from each other?