John I. Saeed in his famous textbook defines the Semantic as "Semantics is the study of meaning communicated through language". So - what is name for the science that researches meaning as communicated through art? Does aesthetics do this? I guess that aesthetics is more about form and less about meaning (content)?

1 Answer 1


I would say Phenomenonlogy and Hermeneutics of Art. But I also suggest reading Adorno on Aesthetic Theory. Adorno addresses Form as well as Meaning of Art.

  • I would also say it is 'Aesthetics'.
    – user20253
    Oct 22, 2017 at 9:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .