Asked in a manner identical to that of Plato.
What is a place?
A good place to start with any such question is listing out a bunch of things I consider places. The list will start with the ones most people will agree on, and slowly move towards ones perhaps more controversial
- The room I'm in right now
- The Amazon Rainforest
- New York City
- The Taj Mahal
- The chair I am sitting in
- Heaven (whatever the hell that is)
- An anthill
- A thought palace
- A website (for example, we say "go to Google")
- Hogwarts (this is so low because all previous examples, aside from heaven, had to deal with the physical world. However, Hogwarts is unambiguously fictional)
- A water bottle (for example, we say "pour water into the bottle). This differs from Google because it is not a human that is in, on, or at the bottle, but some inanimate object.
Note 1: even if no definitive answer is given, a good discussion is extremely welcome.
Note 2: I don't know if this is an appropriate question to ask on this site. If a more appropriate place is known, please let me know. If there already exists such an answer or discussion, please let me know as well.
Note 3: If you do not agree with some items on my list, please give your own definition rather than forcing your definition to fit all of the items on my list. In all honestly, I'm not even sure about some of the later ones.