Is there a word for "a phrase which is intended to end discourse?"

such as

"That's just the way it is"


"If you don't like it, you can get out"


"Deal with it"

These statements are used in lieu of an argument or evidence. They are meant to be the final word but do not contribute new information to the argument. People defend it by claiming no fallacy was made because no argument was made; However, these dialog stoppers are made as a retort during an argument. what is this type of retort called?

  • 2
    In the theorem prover Coq, one ends a proof with "Qed." I don't suppose that is what you are referring to. That would depend on the software implementation. I assume what you are referring to is a dialog between two human beings arguing with each other and they now want to stop arguing. Welcome to this SE! – Frank Hubeny Nov 23 '18 at 19:45
  • 2
    I do not think that there is a label for such expressions; at least, I have never heard of one. But inventing such a label would be a fun exercise for followers of this SE. – Mark Andrews Nov 24 '18 at 2:13

In a sense, these are almost fatalistic resignations – they confer submission to ideas that are apparently immutable (to me, "deal with it," "that's just the way it is," and "if you don't like it, you can get out" all suggest this element of powerlessness).

If the speaker uses these statements in the context of ending discourse in a quasi-threatening way, then I would describe these as ultimatums since they imply consequences ("you can get out") for not acquiescing to the speaker's perspective.

  • Acceptance or resignation isn't required. I usually say: "If you say so" - not believing what you say or resigned to its consequence. – christo183 Dec 28 '18 at 18:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.