I finally passed the first chapters of my pretty old (1961) Philosophy Overview book and found a nice compilation of what happened around the time 600 BC in different parts of the world:
- 550 BC: greek philosophy started
- 609-517 BC: Lao Tse and Konfuzius lived
- 599-527 BC: Mahavira invented Jainism
- 563-483 BC: Buddha lived
- 600 BC Jeremia lived in Jerusalem
- 580 BC: Hesekiel lived in Babylon
The chances that all this happened at the same time are pretty small. Are there any new developments since 1961 why this all happened back then?